Monday, September 09, 2013

Cool Art: 'Defending The Fantasy Genre With Terminal Intensity' by Sam Gilbey

'Defending The Fantasy Genre With Terminal Intensity' by Sam Gilbey is an awesome print  inspired by one of my all time favourite TV shows - 'Spaced' - and was part of Gallery1988's Official Edgar Wright Art Show, that ran from August 20 until September 7.
"My friends and I fell head over heels in love with Spaced when we first saw it on Channel 4 over a decade ago. The general predicament of the characters, the countless references to pop culture from our generation raised by VHS and Playstation, it was as if our own minds had somehow collectively made a sitcom without any of us knowing about it, and made it far more amazing than we ever could have imagined. To this day I don’t think I’ve connected with any television show in such a visceral way.

So, when I was invited to contribute to the exhibition, after already having created artworks inspired by Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim, it just felt like a good time to return to the seminal show. When I started to think about what to do, it became clear that all the main characters needed to be in there, and as many of the minor ones I could squeeze in too, so something rather epic began."
Unfortunately this print is now sold out, but head over to his Behance page for some up close detail shots of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment